We Need Support!

VOLUME 5 • CHAPTER 3 • July 2005

Click here for a printable version (PDF format)


We received notes from only three grads who are interested in a floating reunion. Thus we move on to plan B:  Ed Rogers ’48 will host our annual Florida all-class reunion next spring in Jacksonville. The classes of 1946, 56 and 66 have anniversaries next year.  This is a fine opportunity to join us, what with all of the arrangements being made for you.  Just come on down!  Special arrangements can be made for separate gathering space for your group.  Then you can join us for meals and other attractive activities.  This is a great area of Florida and we are confident that this will be one of the best reunions we have had.

Here comes Bubba again: “Hey, Hugie, I think the weather forecasters should predict Monday’s weather on Tuesday morning.  That way they should get it right at least half the time.” And more:  “There’s a TV ad about one of the ED pills.  It says that if your erection lasts 4 hours or more you should call for help.  I don’t think so.  Maybe someone else should call for help, but not me.”  See ya later, Bub.


Rev. John Melcher, an Episcopalian priest, is recuperating from injuries suffered in a Jan. 20, 2005, auto accident and from surgical complications that followed.  He was hospitalized for close to four months and would be happy to hear from fellow Knights.  John, his wife Liz and their four children can be reached at 2445 S. Trenton, Trenton, Mich. 48183.

Submitted by John McCormick, ’68   Thanks, John, for this bit of bad news.

Miller Bransfield ’48 sends this inspirational story:

The year 2004 was a personal challenge.  After several tests late in November we were scheduled for major surgery on December 1st.  Help for me came in a hurry.  My sister, Joan, told me December 1st was Saint Edmund Campion’s feast day.  Needless to say I asked him to help me over the hump.  Six months later I can still enjoy each sunrise and sunset.  We feel a great debt of gratitude to Saint Edmund, who endured martyrdom  — great mental and physical torture.  Through the kindness of Aaron Huguenard, I contacted Father Joe Eagan (Campion’40) to learn more about Saint Edmund’s life and challenges.  Father Joe has suggested several books.  Any of our alumni and friends interested can write to us and we will send you a good book on his life at no cost to you.  I won’t ever forget to call on him whenever I’m in a tight spot again.  I hope all of you grads will do the same.

Those of you who would like to take advantage of Miller’s offer, please write, call or e-mail us at Campion Forever and we will see that you are accommodated.

The terms martyrdom and torture really mean little to those of us who have not experienced such atrocities.  The following is the final paragraph in the Edmund Campion book that Miller has selected:

Words of the executioner to Campion and others:

“You must go to the place from whence you came, there to remain until ye be drawn through the open city of London upon hurdles to the place of execution, and there be hanged and let down alive, and your privy parts cut off, and your entrails taken out and burnt in your sight; then your heads to be cut off, and your bodies to be divided in four parts, to be disposed of at her Majesty's pleasure. And God have mercy on your souls.”

When Bob Kieswetter ‘50 asked Carolyn to marry him he also asked if she would sail with him and her answer was, yes!  This dream was put away for a few years and cropped up again during an affirmation workshop.  Carolyn made the decision to give up a career as Associate Professor in the School of Nursing at Owens Technical College and Bob, his carpet laying business.  They sold most of their belongings, and rented their home to live on their sailboat and sail the high seas.  They planned for months and used their Personal Dynamics tools to make it happen.  They left in the summer of 1981 following their daughter’s graduation from high school. We thought you might enjoy reading about some of their experiences as detailed in a letter to their children.


We're at our second stop in the Berry Islands.  After leaving the marina where we cleared customs. We went back where we'd anchored before so we could do some spear-fishing, etc., without fear of getting in-trouble.  As soon as we got there we jumped in to try to catch ourselves some dinner.  We got 1 lobster and 1 fish.  I didn't stay in long cuz I saw a shark and got back in the dinghy.  I don't know why I got so spooked - it headed the opposite direction as soon as it saw me.  It was also a small one.  I keep reminding myself that underwater everything looks 25% closer and 25% bigger.

The next day Bob had work to do on the boat.  I went snorkeling by myself to get out of his way.  This time I saw stingrays (which took off faster than I did) and a barracuda that looked 4 ft. long (which means he was only a little over 3 ft.).  The barracuda followed me all over.  I ended up back in the dinghy in rather short order.  He still followed me.  I've decided he wanted to be my friend.  The sky started getting gray so I headed in - not soon enough - I had to row against wind and tide. What a workout!  I don't go by myself much anymore.  The next time we went we got 2 lobsters (I have since found that they are out of season through July).

We hauled anchor and headed for this place on Saturday.  We aren't catching fish at all.  Caught a shark-sucker but didn't know if they were edible.  Bob got an octopus the other day so we cleaned and cooked that.  It was very tough, but tasty.  We hope to get another one some time and try pressure cooking it.  The wind’s been high ever since we got here and the anchorage is rough.  We've been here all alone most of the time.  We're both tan all over - very little bathing suit pallor left.  Our next seafood experiment is escargot.  Gathered a bunch of them and will see how they are.

July 3 -- We moved yesterday a few more miles down the islands. Nice spot with not quite as much surge from the ocean but certainly not smooth either.  We saw some Bahamians looking for conch when we came in yesterday so hope to go hunting for some ourselves today.  We figure if they were there it must be a spot with possibilities.

Oh, yes, made chowder with the escargot - have you looked it up to see what it is yet?  I pressure cooked them first.  The chowder was better the 2nd day as leftovers.  We decided it was no wonder they’re so expensive in restaurants.  We cleaned 4 - 5 dozen of them.  What with collecting, breaking the shells with a hammer and cleaning we probably had 5 hours of work involved.  That doesn't count the cooking.  Well, we've tried it - it wasn't bad, but isn't a job we'll hunt for again!

Before we left the last anchorage we dinghied to an island we heard about and did some exploring. There's a huge quarry - like hole in the middle of the island that seemed to drop to no where - salt water - so it must connect way underneath to the ocean.  Caves all around. - real neat.  Also found ruins of an old settlement nearby.  I was sorry I hadn't taken the camera along.

Weather has been comfortable lately as long as you can find shade.  It actually got chilly the other evening sitting in the cockpit.  That means I put some clothes on.  Don't know if you could really call it chilly.

July 5 -- Had an interesting day on July 4th. First off, the Bahamian Defense Force boats (2 of them) pulled up to us at our new anchorage. Gave us a start - we're still not completely sure of fishing regulations.  Book says illegal to export conch or conch  shells.  Well we had a conch and a great big snail hanging from the boom trying to get the animal out

of it without ruining the shell so we can keep it.  We don't think this is considered exporting but aren't sure.  Anyway, they came up pretty close, kept looking us over, talking among themselves.  They asked a couple of times if everything was alright - we said yes - then they motioned to the cushion we had hanging from the jib winch - the gold colored ones that say NEED HELP in big black letters.  One of us screwed up and didn't hang the blank side out. They asked us where we'd cleared customs and where we came from and left.  What a startling experience!  Next Dad spent considerable time cleaning conch for supper.  I ate part of one raw and then made chowder from the rest. They are much better and tender straight from the shell and raw than in that salad we tried in Key West.  The flavor is very delicate and subtle so you lose it in the salad. The salad sells conch to people who want to say they ate raw conch but don't really like the idea or are afraid to try it straight.  It probably also toughens with age.  Went spear-fishing again.  I was mainly fishing above the reef right near the boat -  beautiful display of all colors just like the pictures and some weirdies like a puffer fish - looks just like the Charlie the Tuna fishes on T.V. - wide head and wide set eyes.  They puff up into a ball when agitated.  I tried to get him to puff but he wouldn't.  Bob finally speared a fish.  He’s been trying and trying and got only one previous to this one.  After that we spotted a stingray.  We've been wanting to get a stingray or skateray.  We'd read they tasted like scallops.  Anyway he speared it.  I, in my usual manner, stayed considerable distance away to avoid getting stung.  We ended up with too much food for us - had chowder, a fish, and ray for supper.  Anyway, next we threw the scraps from seafood cleaning overboard and watched the sharks move in and clean it up.  Let me tell you - they’re careful what they eat and where - scouted the area several times before taking a piece of the ray.  Took some time before it was gone.  Guess I don't have to be quite as jumpy when I see one while swimming.

We were told that we could have mail sent to:
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Kieswetter
% General Delivery
George Town
Exuma Bahamas

We will be going there before heading north again.  Let everybody know - would love to get some news.  It could take 2 weeks to get there.

July 9 - We're at the west end of New Providence Island for a few days.  We spent a day or 2 at another place between Whale and Little Whale Cays before coming here.  And there …..I speared my first fishes!  I supplied supper that night!  I'm getting pretty good at diving and breath-holding which helps in having time to take aim at fish.  We left for here and of course, the wind changed so couldn't go direct to Nassau.  We decided not to go into Nassau until after their Independence Day Holiday since post office, telephone stations, etc. wouldn't be open anyway.

Today we went spear-fishing again.  I got 2 and Dad got 1.  We got back to the boat and he started cleaning them.  I eventually got around to looking them up in my fish book to find out what kind they were – parrot fishes which are not usually eaten cuz they spoil rapidly - overboard they went and back to conch chowder from the conch we found yesterday.

I burnt myself cooking last night - on the belly.  Found a very good reason to wear an apron - prevents burns when cooking in your birthday suit!

Saw 2 boatloads of Haitians today.  One came by our boat and asked which way to Miami.  You can't imagine - about a 24 ft. boat, no cabin, sails with holes and 14-16 people in it.  Later we saw another one in the distance.  I have very mixed feelings about people immigrating illegally when so many others go thru the proper channels.  And Florida is getting stuck with all the problems.

Had a good rain today.  I had my first fresh H20 shower in some time.  Nice standing on the bow in the rain taking a bath!  I suppose if we come back to Toledo, the neighbors wouldn't understand if I run out in the rain with my soap, would they?  Especially dressed as I've been accustomed to lately.  When the rain started I got one of those confused feelings.  I heard a noise that was just like the wind through the trees at home in the fall when leaves are falling.  When I looked it was the raindrops on the water moving toward us.

The water around us is so green and bright that it reflects on the undersides of the birds. A gull flew by and I commented what a gorgeous green bird - then we recognized the green was reflection.

The reef we explored had all kinds of fish and coral.  Much more varied than what you saw with us in Florida.

Must get on.  Write soon.  Mail is very slow.

Love, Mom and Dad

From a 1972 Campionette:

Dear Sir or Madam, as the case might be,

Thank you for your help in locating Al Grieshop.  I wrote to the address you sent me and he replied that he had indeed lost his high school ring.  The story is interesting so here it is for your alumni Newsletter.

In April 1971, Al was with a group of boy scouts from Connecticut in the hills of South Royalton, Vermont.  He loaned his ring to one of the boys to use as a clasp for his neckerchief.  Within 20 minutes the ring was lost and there was no chance to go back and look for it.

In July 1972, my family and I (husband and three children) were camping in the South Royalton, Vermont area.  As I trudged back and forth from our tent complex to our car, I noticed something round in the dirt. I walked over it for several days before I finally decided to pick it up and check it out.  It looked like the ring from a soda can until I tried to scratch it from the dirt and found it to be a very large object, completely buried except for the tiny part I could just see.  When washed off, it proved to be a man’s high school ring from your school.  I guess I was touched by the fact that its owner was a 1959 graduate.  I too graduated from high school (Hollywood High, Los Angeles, California) in 1959.  My sense of adventure led me to determine to track down the owner if at all possible.

Once home in Burlington, I called the local Catholic High School, Rice Memorial, and asked if they possibly had a listing of schools in other areas and could supply me with an address. This they did and I immediately wrote to you, and you know the rest.

On July 31, 1972, almost 16 months and a long hard winter of deep snow, the lost and buried ring was mailed to the happy owner.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance.


Christine Hollenbelk

I appreciated your forwarding the letter from the father to his sons and thank you for it.   I gather from the October Newsletter that not everyone felt that way.  I guess I'm not really surprised by that.
     Given the general reaction of the Church toward efforts of the U.S. to protect itself, I have wondered whether my memory of it’s position against the Communist  threat during the 50's and 60's — before the advent of  "liberation theology" — was a figment of my imagination.
     Granted, there is a place for idealism, but there must also be a recognition of reality.  I recently came  across an interesting piece by James V. Schall, S.J. of Georgetown University that gave me hope that my thoughts are not totally unsupported.
     Fr.  Schall's piece is a rather long and difficult read, but you might want to share it with the other Knights. It can be found at:


Best wishes,
Ned Schrems '63

There were two Catholic boys, Timothy Murphy and Antonio Secola, whose lives parallel each other in amazing ways.  In the same year Timothy was Born in Ireland, Antonio was born in Italy.  Faithfully they attended parochial school from kindergarten through their senior year in high school.
     They took their vows to enter the priesthood early in college, and upon graduation, became priests.
     Their careers had come to amaze the world, but it was generally acknowledged that Antonio Secola was just a cut above Timothy Murphy in all respects. Their rise through the ranks of Bishop, Archbishop and finally Cardinal was swift to say the least, and the Catholic world knew that when the present Pope died, it would be one of the two who would become the next Pope.
     In time the Pope did die, and the College of Cardinals went to work.  In less time than anyone had expected, white smoke rose from the chimney and the world waited to see whom they had chosen.
     The world, Catholic, Protestant and secular, was surprised to learn that Timothy Murphy had been elected Pope!  Antonio Secola was beyond surprise.  He was devastated, because even with all of Timothy's gifts, Antonio knew he was the better qualified.  With gall that shocked the Cardinals, Antonio Secola asked for a private session with them in which he candidly asked, "Why Timothy?"  After a long silence, an old Cardinal took pity on the bewildered man and rose to reply. "We knew you were the better of the two, but we just could not bear the thought of the leader of the Roman Catholic Church being called  “Pope Secola.”


Father Carl Zachman, a college baseball star, bypassed a pro career for the priesthood.  Into old age, he taught Latin at a Jesuit high school in Wisconsin.  He strolled the aisles of his classroom, back to front - cassock dusting the floor, textbook held prayerfully in his hands.  Answer a question correctly — "Moran, the plural?" — and he'd move on.  Answer incorrectly, and he'd crack the book on your skull.  When he died in 1977 at 82, many of his former students — lumps long healed — still knew their drills.

Father Zachman would have loved the headline atop the editorial in Sunday's newspaper: "Pax vobiscum, John Paul II."  Or would he?

Two readers delivered thumps.  "You intended to say, `Peace be with you, John Paul II,'" wrote Dr. Robert J. Walsh of Chicago.  But vobis, he noted, is rooted in vos, the plural of the second-person pronoun "you."  The singular of vobis is te, rooted in tu, as in Et tu, Brute?  Thus, wrote R. Emmet Harrigan of Crystal Lake, "If addressed to one person, the pope, it should be Pax tecum."

Hmmm.  Faintly, the skull throbs.

Ah, possible redemption.  Michael I. Allen, professor of medieval Latin philology at the University of Chicago, offers a defense of Pax vobiscum: the concept of pluralis maiestatis, or "the plural of majesty."   Think "The Royal We" and you're close. Invoking pluralis maiestatis suggests it's respectful to use the plural vobiscum when formally addressing a person of stature.  Say, a pope.

The best defense of Pax vobiscum, Allen offers, is what he calls The One Rule of Latin, which states: "There are thousands of exceptions to the rules."  Allen says he'd write, "Pax tibi, Johannes Paule," or, "Peace to you, John Paul."

In sum: Pax vobiscum is correct — unless Walsh and Harrigan are more correct. Allen says he's not permitted to strike his U. of C. students.

And, inexplicably, a lump rises on the skull.

Submitted by Jack Toomey ’50        
Thanks,  Jack

From our staff reporter, Paul McCullough ’70:


The April 1968 Campion train ride was an episode not worth mentioning when compared to the amazing events of that year.  The actions were certainly out of character for the Knights, although high school students were acting out at that time.  Five weeks previously in a February 23, 1968 article entitled “Teenagers on the Rampage”, Time Magazine reported that, among other events, 30 New Haven Connecticut high school students were arrested after a china-smashing cafeteria riot, 500 boys in the Chicago suburb of Maywood battled police after protesting the selection of a homecoming queen, nearly 3,000 students at Chicago’s Dunbar High left classes to fight in the streets, and police in Lewiston Maine subdued a riot involving 700 students at a high school dance – sponsored by the local Police Athletic League.  I wonder if any folks on the train that night had read the article.  Subscriptions to Time were widespread at CHS; each week, the red-covered magazine could be found in the Dean’s offices stacked in piles one to two feet high, awaiting distribution.

Was this no more than a coincidence?  Certainly.  Yet, what of Campion in 1968?  How did our school fare during “The Year Everything Went Wrong”, as labeled by historian William Manchester?

The answer is that Campion fared very well. That spring, Campion students “clean for Gene” turned up to meet Paul Newman stumping for presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy at the PDC airport. YCS, under Jim Radde, SJ, hosted several weekends including an inner city retreat in Milwaukee, a Wyalusing retreat, interracial days, and a concert by calypso artist Cyril Paul in Loyola Hall.  Sodality, under Bob Leiwecke SJ, renovated a house for a needy family in town. Campion’s spring sports teams remained active. Mother’s Day weekend activities included the Campion ROTC Corps and Marching Band on parade.  One hundred twenty students graduated that May, 78 (65%) of which chose to attend Catholic colleges.

Preparation for the 68-69 academic year began and continued during the summer.  The Senior Prefect program was started - six incoming seniors with outstanding academic and discipline records and who had successfully completed an intensive interview process were put in charge of freshmen, with their rooms on the fourth floor of Marquette Hall.  Fr. Patrick Connolly replaced Fr. William Doran as principal.  The ’69 Knight indicated that he was to hold this position for one year while on leave from studies for a doctoral degree.  As I recall, he was an advocate of the teachings of Marshall McLuhan (he had previously studied under him at Fordham).  He encouraged students to think of people and issues outside of the Campion scene and to analyze/utilize mass media. (I’m sure he spoke of the ‘global village’ although I can’t remember it.)   Brother S. J.  Staber, Campion’s superintendent, was preparing a plan for the remodeling of Kostka Hall that included new floors and electric wiring as well as movement of some walls. Quotations for materials and labor were being obtained and a meeting for final approval of the project was set for Wednesday, December 18.

There were a few potential items of concern. Campion reported a small operating deficit in 1968, a problem that would grow significantly in succeeding years.  The fee for tuition, room and board, which had remained unchanged at $1400 for the previous three years, was increased at the start of term, rising to $1700 - $1750 by late 1969.  And although it was probably not widely known, school closings were beginning to occur.  In July 1971, as reported in The New York Times, the Catholic Church in the U.S. announced that over 1400 schools had been closed during the previous five years.  Still, the cost of a Campion education remained relatively modest when compared to other private boarding schools and enrollment remained strong with 562 students arriving in September.  The number of black students increased from four (Campion’s first black students entered as freshmen in September 1967) to sixteen.  Forty Knights reported on August 19 for football practice.  The fall term’s smooth beginning gave promise of a successful year and except for the Kostka Hall fire, it was.

Probably the most heartfelt eulogy for Kostka and example of the Campion Spirit came in the form of a letter of gratitude written by Bro. Staber to the editor of the PDC Courier Press on January 9, 1969.  Having been on the fourth floor and seeing the firemen’s efforts to contain the blaze, he wrote of his “admiration for brave men who frequently risk injury and even life in the pursuit of civic assistance”.   He further paid tribute to the firemen injured on December 14, including Vern Fishler and Paul Mara, writing that through their efforts, the fire was sufficiently contained to save Campion and Xavier Halls, the destruction of which would have put the school out of operation. In addition to the PDCFD, appreciation was also expressed to the Marquette-McGregor and Bloomington Fire Departments, the PDC Police Force and Rescue Squad, WPRE Radio, Wisconsin Power and Light, and General Telephone.  Finally, Bro. Staber thanked his own staff and remembered the building; his words are worth quoting:

“Always much taken for granted—yet a vital part of Campion’s lifeline of operation, the loyal employees of the school — John Novey, Chief Engineer — Frank Bozek and Arnold White, Electricians — Ed E. Bouzek and Leo Pulda and the other Boiler Room men whose vast knowledge of Campion’s heating, water and electric network, helped to save thousands of dollars and property by knowing what valves to shut off---how to cap this, turn on that etc.  They were ably assisted by Bro. James Kirsling, S.J., Asst. Superintendent and Bob Gillitzer and other employees who returned or volunteered during this time of crisis.  Also the Kitchen Food Service who provided coffee etc. and kept calmly to their duties throughout the excitement.”

“Kostka Hall was the venerable building of the campus — attached and associated with many memories and changes during its 84 year old history.   The 1884 section was especially strong and rugged.  It was not a very attractive building — but was in its way like the giant redwood trees of California.  Withstanding rigors and abuse yet able to be remodeled and changed to accommodate itself to the changing generations…..All knew that some day Kostka Hall would have to come down — none, however, wanted it to go in quite the manner it did.”   

Campion didn’t skip a beat.  On January 23, 1969, the Courier Press reported the results of the state fire marshall’s investigation of the blaze, the evidence indicating that students’ smoking was the cause.  The article also reported Campion President Fr. J. R. Hilbert statement that the school planned to rebuild.  The school received an insurance check for $484,964.00 on April 23.  The basketball team posted a 14-6 season and went to the regionals, beating archrival Aquinas.  The Masquers performed Stalag 17 in the auditorium of St. Mary’s Academy.  Over Mother’s Day weekend, the ROTC Corps marched on the quadrangle and the Concert Band, resplendent in white dinner jackets, performed in the freshman gymnasium. The regulations regarding hair length were still being enforced.  One hundred nine members of the Class of ’69 took their diplomas in May and would attend colleges including Notre Dame (5), Georgetown (5), Marquette (9), Creighton (9), Holy Cross (2), Boston College, Cornell and Yale. Students received scholarships from National Merit, Loyola-Chicago (2), Georgetown, U. of Detroit, John Carroll, Saint Louis U. (3), Marquette, Notre Dame, Xavier, Ripon College, State of Illinois, Army ROTC (3), and Air Force ROTC. After his year as principal, Fr. Connolly went on to complete his Ph.D. in communication at USC.

It had all been a great success.  As students departed for summer vacation, the future of Campion seemed assured.  Everyone, especially juniors waiting to savor the freedom of Xavier Hall (myself included), was convinced that 1969-1970 would be an even more noteworthy, perhaps spectacular year.

They were right.
Paul McCullough

Hey, guys, see how easy it is?  Many of you excelled in composition in Wisconsin and have stories of your own to tell us. Again, we are too old to be shy.  Please contribute your memories of Campion, or any other chapter of your life,  for publication in our newsletter.

December 9, 2004

Prayers for a graced Christmas and hope-filled New Year!

After eight years in Indianapolis (my term as rector at Brebeuf Jesuit ended November 1), I returned to the Jesuit residence I left in 1996.  We are 14 Jesuits, involved primarily with the less affluent — hospitals, homeless and indigent centers, jails, parishes — and without "institutional" responsibilities.

I am primarily engaged in giving retreats, other pastoral work and volunteer work (about 20 hours a week) at the local CCAT House — the Center for Chemical Addictions Treatment. The retreats are mainly weekends at Jesuit centers in Barrington, IL (a suburb 45 miles northwest of Chicago) and Milford, OH (just east of Cincinnati).  It is a wondrous relief to work without administrative chores.

The CCAT House, for people with drug and/or alcohol problems, is private but with some decent public support in addition to its eleemosynary income.  The cost, determined by one's income, is for most $20.00 per day.

Last summer I was very privileged to spend four weeks in Vietnam as part of a volunteer team teaching young Vietnamese Jesuits English.  It was an arduous four weeks (twelve-hour days M-F, including Mass and meals), but eminently worth it.  The Vietnamese, Jesuits and others, were most gracious hosts, with no hint of bitterness for the evils we Americans inflicted on them. Would that we shared in their graced ability to forgive!

As we anticipate another new year already scarred by wars and other killings, let us remember that they result from the selfishness, hatred, and lack of forgiveness in our own hearts.  Prayers that this season we will grow more open to accept God's gifts of forgiveness, selflessness, and love.

(Signed)  Peter Carey
790 Clinton Springs Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45229
to email Peter

Walt McCoy ’47 (far right), while on R & R in Tokyo in
1953, took his cute little bosun’s mate and a couple of other
pals to a bistro in Tokyo.  Quoteth The Walter: “war is  hell.”

Tom Olson had his own mini-reunion in California recently.
In attendance were (l - r) Tom Phillip ’53, Tom Olson ’72,
Steve Donlon ’65, Pat Mower ’64 and Dave Keeney ’47.

Dear Aaron:

Please pass along the following to Chris Westendorf '68:

     Father Philip Dreckman quit smoking and took up jogging before leaving Prairie du Chien in 1975. Consequently, he still thrives at the age of 77 although he has had to have both knees replaced. He continues to serve in secondary education. He is chaplain and part-time history teacher at Cretin-Durham High School in Saint Paul, Minnesota and resident at Immaculate Heart of Mary Jesuit Community, 1543 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105. 

Unfortunately, Father Phil does not email. But, I am sure he would enjoy hearing from Chris. 

David Haschka, S.J.
Secretary for Pastoral Ministry
USA Jesuit Conference
1616 P Street NW, Suite 300
Washington DC 20036-1408
Voice: (+1) 202 462-0400
Fax: (+1) 202 328-9212
to email David

One time there was two farmers that lived out on the road to Cicero.  They was always good friends, and Bill’s oldest boy had been a-sparkin one of Sam’s daughters.

Every thing  was going fine till the morning they met  down by the creek and Sam was pretty goddam mad. “Bill,” says he, “from now on I don’t want that boy of yours to set foot on my place.”

“Why, what’s he done?” asked the boy’s daddy.

“He pissed in the snow, that’s what he done, right in front of my house.”

“But surely, there ain’t no harm in that”, Bill says.

"No harm!" hollered Sam. "Hells fire, he pissed so it spells Lucy’s name, right there in the snow!”

“The boy shouldn’t have done  that,”  says Bill, “But I don’t see nothing so terrible bad about it."

“Well, by God, I do" yells Sam. "There was two sets of tracks!  And besides, don’t you think I know my own daughter’s handwriting?”


We will be printing and distributing our directory of grads and staff in January.  This is printed by class.  This time around, however, we ask you to help share the expense of the printing, assembling and mailing this issue.  This is an expensive venture.  We can produce and mail a year’s worth of newsletters for the cost of sending all of you a directory.  As in the past, a separate listing of all e-mail addresses will be provided.  If you wish to have a 2006 Directory, please send your check for $7.50 made out to Campion Forever and posted to the address on page one of this Newsletter.  Please have your stipend here prior to October 15, 2005. As usual, we will provide a gratis copy to all of our religious friends. Our directory has grown to 2228 names. However, unfortunately, we have added 78 to the deceased list.

Thanks in advance

There now follows a collage of photos from our recent all-class Florida reunion (click here).  Sorry that we cannot ID some of the pictures near the end.  We will try harder next time.  You will observe that all in attendance were having a great time.  Our host, Jim Sweeney ’49. picked an excellent venue on beautiful Sarasota bay.  The weather could not have been better for the hoop-de-doo.

Home  |  Links  |  Newsletters  |  Reunions  |  Contact

Hugies • Campion • Forever !!!