We Need Support!

VOLUME 22 • CHAPTER 1 • January 2022

Halls of Campion in Winter


The first Campionette, the student newsletter, was published 104 years ago, on November 11, 1917. The first Editor of the Campionette was Tom O'Connor, class of 1920. The last official issue was the one announcing the closing of the school in May 1975. Over the years various classes have published special editions for their class reunions, of which some have been pretty extravagant.

The Campion Forever Newsletter was first published by Aaron Huguenard, class of 1947 in 2000 as a means for alumni and faculty to keep in touch and share in life experiences.

We've been trying to get memoirs from retired and not-so-retired Campion Jebbies for our newsletter for quite some time. We don't care if the memoirs are about when they went to Campion, taught at Campion, or just what they've done since leaving Campion. We just want to hear something from our mentors in the first person; perhaps words of wisdom learned while IHS; typically we only get 3rd person post mortem. Not to lay all the blame on the Jebbies... why can't we get memoirs from more alumni, or what they've done since leaving Campion. Where are all those other authors and editors of the old 'ette.

While it has been a task getting people to submit articles, there are a few dedicated alumni and Jebbies who do regularly provide ideas for articles. This is a good thing, else I would have to conjure the 'Ghost of Joe Campion' for ideas more than I care to.

We are mulling over the idea of a sub-theme for people to write articles to... The Escapades of Campion Boys. A schoolmate '70 wrote a story entitled Women of Wisconsin (title parody intended) but has shied from publishing it to the CF Newsletter stating his behavior was likely out of bounds for the classes graduating before us suspecting his behavior would cause subsequent demise of our institutional namesake. I disagree. It reflects what many would admit. I respect his choice not to release it to the general alumni until he is ready. It really is a good humurous story. It has been hypothesized by some of his classmates it could be a multi-part mini-series on the big stage.

In the mean time, we have a story from our only alumna, Shelley. We are graced with another saga from the Scarlet Knight. We have a 50 year flash-back with excerpts from the CAMPION Newsletter from 1971-1972 school year. Tribute to Fr. Gregory Lucey, S.J. and John talks about his COVID experience.

Merry Christmas!

From Shelley Smith '74


by Shelley Smith '74


In 1977, a day or two after Thanksgiving I left the Midwest for an internship with the Roosevelt Island Development Corporation in New York City. At that time I had aspirations to be an urban planner. I'd spent my childhood from the age of six in McGregor, Iowa and then attended Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota through the first trimester of my senior year. That September my parents' divorce was finalized and my brother Clay (Campion '76) flew back from the university he was attending on Long Island to drive our mother in her big green Impala back to her hometown of Jersey City. Our father had moved from McGregor, Iowa to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

I proceeded to bounce around the Bo-Wash (Boston-NYC-Washington, DC) corridor for the next twenty years, ending up spending most of the following twenty years in Jersey City. I was living with my mother when she involuntarily left this physical realm in 2006. She had always been the anchor that kept me from drifting too far off course.

Two years later in 2008, I was still trying to find the self-discipline and clarity to be my own anchor. Then in late May of that year, Clay and I learned that our father had been hospitalized at Prairie's Memorial Hospital. In early June we spent several days visiting with Dad and those involved in his healthcare. Six weeks later I flew to LaCrosse to accompany him back to Prairie after a surgical procedure. It was there that his attending physician informed me that he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I'd planned to stay for two weeks and then return to Jersey City. But, I just couldn't leave him. I contacted the school in Jersey where I'd just started working and informed them I would not be back. I was following my heart. With the help of a very proactive and caring acquaintance of Dad's I found an apartment and temporary employment in Prairie du Chien. Again I was in the privileged position of being able to be my parent's healthcare advocate and protector. Nearly three years later, May 11, 2011, Alzheimer's brought my father's mortal functions to their final halt. At that moment I realized I was a middle-aged adult orphan. I drifted in Prairie du Chien for another four years.

During those years, I occasionally crossed paths with the older brother, Campion '73, of a high school friend of mine. Before I left Prairie du Chien in 2015, we became Facebook Friends. Over the next two years, on occasion, we commented on each other's posts or sent a query or FYI via Facebook Messenger. Thus my surprise when, on October 12 of this year, I found a message from this alum: "Hi Shelley, An upperclassman at Campion asked me to reach out to you on your experience of being a co-ed student at Campion. He's one of my FB friends and puts out a monthly [quarterly] newsletter for alumni. Would you be interested in that?"

I surprised myself as I had to jog my memory to remember that, indeed, I had been a "share-time" student as a member, kind of, of the Campion Class of '74 for, I think, my junior and senior years. I followed up with the patient, compassionate, upbeat Tom Olson who provided me with a little more information about the request. Although I must admit that I was initially somewhat flattered, I also had reservations as I didn't think that anyone was particularly aware of my presence on campus or my student status. To test my hunch Tom sent an email to members of the Class of '74 that said: "Dear Class of 1974, I am looking for information on Shelley Smith from your class. She was a part-time day student from McGregor, Iowa, during school years 72-73 and 73-74. Please send us what you know." One earnest classmate replied with secondary source material - a copy of my father's obituary in which I was mentioned as one of his surviving family members... Case made.

However, I thank those alumni who asked Tom to invite me to tell my story. I thank you for your curiosity and interest. Also, it came to my attention that that there may be some rather dismissive misinformation circulating among a few alums about how and why I was admitted to matriculate at Campion as the only girl and part-time day student. Thus, I have taken this opportunity to tell my story, as much as I can remember, and hope in doing so it will dispel the misconceptions.


In 1962 after practicing medicine with his mother-in-law for five years in Jersey City while she grieved the sudden passing of her husband and medical colleague, my father, who was not a fan of city life, moved my mother, younger brother and me from Jersey City, the second largest city in New Jersey, located just across the Hudson River from New York City, to McGregor, Iowa, also, just across a river, the Mississippi, from its larger, more cosmopolitan enclave, Prairie du Chien, in whose shadow it existed. At the time, McGregor had a population of about 1000 residents and the hamlet of Marquette, its neighbor a mile north, was about half the size of McGregor. The two communities created a consolidated school district called Mar-Mac. The elementary school was located in Marquette near the foot of the bridge that spanned the Mississippi connecting Iowa and Wisconsin, and a two building complex in McGregor that contained classrooms for the middle, junior and senior high school students. In any given year about 500 students received a Mar-Mac education. This area of the state was very rural, very poor, hence, at the time, the schools were a reflection of the communities.

Though a small, rural, hinterland community, I find it remarkable that at that time McGregor's population was minimally diverse as it included one Native American family and two Mexican-American families. Once we arrived we became the only African American family in town and probably for a 60 mile radius around it. My father became the second physician and only African American physician in town and in that same radius. It took my father nearly a decade of round-the-clock hours to earn the kind of income that could have enabled him to finance educations for my brother and me at out of town private schools. We were also in the midst of the Civil Rights Era and I don't think my parents wanted us to be too far from home, nor did I want to be away from my parents. But, I think by the time I was in sixth grade I was aware of Campion and that my parents had their sights set on sending my brother there.

Back then, just the thought of the elite Campion Jesuit High School located on the outskirts of town with its lush lawns, golf course, tennis courts, olympic size swimming pool and basketball court (my family and I saw the Harlem Globetrotters there when I was 10 or 11), the dormitories, the quadrangle was as remote and curious and as otherworldly as Oz. It awakened all the senses for those of us who only circled its periphery, and of course for girls the boys added an extra degree of excitement and sense of the potentially forbidden. I think one or two of the sons of McGregor's other town doctor attended Campion, and to me that was reason to regard them with awe. I went to my first Campion "mixer" at the urging, ironically, of the mother of the alum who contacted me on behalf of Tom Olson. She wanted to pair me up with an African American student she knew with whose acquaintance she thought I might like to make. A year or two later, the physician for the sports teams appealed to my father to allow me to meet one of the star basketball players. It took awhile to convince my father but eventually he agreed. I don't recall our first meeting but we are still in touch today. I think during my sophomore year, again, thanks to the sister of the alum who contacted me for Tom, I learned about an evening French language class taught on campus. I don't know how it came about but it was attended by five or so girls from Prairie and myself. It was an excellent class. And of course being on campus, even though you guys must have been in study hall, the proximity was extremely exciting.

I think it was during the summer before my junior year, maybe earlier, when I began to hear murmurings about Campion going co-ed. My mother had decided I would be among those attending. Period! That, of course, was a tremendously exciting prospect for me to consider. Not so much because of the opportunity to be exposed to college prep level courses, but because for me, for the first time I would be among African American male peers. As mentioned earlier, my brother, mother and father and I were the only African Americans in the region. Although my father's parents lived in Waterloo, Iowa, my cousins on both sides of the family lived on the East Coast and rarely visited. It was a dream to see myself reflected in the faces of my classmates even if they were male.

In A Brief History of Campion Jesuit High School of Prairie du Chien, Wisc., by S.J. Staber, S.J. 1972 (Revised 1975), listed under the year 1973 it is noted: "May 5, 1973, Rev. Fr. General Peter Arrupe, S.J. not in favor of Campion going in for COED Education and so informed Campion officials." This was, of course, very disappointing news. But, my mother was both formidable and a feminist. She had decided that I would take credited classes at Campion regardless of who decreed its status as a single sex or co-ed school. Period! Somehow she made arrangements with Mar-Mac to allow me to maintain my full-time student status there and take a couple of classes per semester at Campion which would be accepted and included in my transcripts. I remember being called a "share-time student." With this arrangement I would receive my graduation diploma from Mar-Mac. Being the only female student had not been what I'd been looking forward to and I had trepidations. My mother warned me that I might not find my Campion reception to be welcoming as it would be likely that some members of the faculty and student body might resent my presence. I guess having grown up as "the only" in so many situations, and in my small, unusual and protected world being known as "the doctor's daughter," constantly being under the gaze of "the other" paired with my natural proclivity for observing from the edge, prepared me psychologically for whatever I might encounter. And so I proceeded with registering for classes at Campion. My memory of the details of this process are nearly nil and I wish my mother were here now so I could ask her how it all happened.


I don't remember how I was received by my instructors and classmates on the first day of class. I know that I was excited and nervous and hopeful. To me, the Campion campus always felt so grand and expansive and full of possibility. By the time of that first class, I was somewhat familiar with the campus as I'd been to a mixer or two at the old gym, attended a few basketball games when Glen Allen was a star, and soon after, the 6'7" freshman Center, Mike White drew much attention. And as mentioned earlier, I'd taken a great evening course in French with a lay teacher. I think his name was Mr. Drake.

I drove my mother's car from home or Mar-Mac, depending on the time of class, and I probably parked that big, green Impala I mentioned earlier in front of Hoffman Hall. I'm sure that first day of class I was filled with both nerves and anticipation as I searched for my classroom. I remember being pleasantly surprised and a tad amused when a student who happened to be African American held open the front door to one of the buildings I was about to enter. This was certainly behavior that was quite to the contrary to what my mother had cautioned me I might encounter. That said, I did witness an attempt to dismiss my presence. It was in an introduction to economics course. I sat in the front row, yet the instructor, a late middle-aged clergyman, began each class with, "Good afternoon, gentlemen!" I received his message loud and clear.

I took my very first seminar at Campion, an English composition course, I think. That of course was the first time I'd taken a class in which the room was not configured with a teacher's podium or desk in front of rows of student desks. Instead, students and teacher dialogued while seated around a large conference table. One class is permanently imprinted in my memory. It concerned an assignment in which we were to write about a traumatic experience. The instructor asked a student to read his paper to the class. That student had a bright red afro and a comedic and animated disposition which made him hard to miss or forget. With dramatic flare he shared a spectacularly horrific story about his brief hospitalization and an encounter with a catheter. We gasped and winced as we experienced his discomfort. Thankfully his comedic delivery mitigated his graphic details. I sure hope he received an A+. Years later my mother reminded me how she'd had to stifle her laughter when, after that class I came home and told her that compared to the stories shared by several of the students in the seminar, I had nothing to draw on and didn't think I could complete the writing assignment. I'm sure this was reassuring news for my mother. I know I did some more reflection and recalled something I was able to use for the assignment. What that was, I don't remember.

I took Ed Smith's Black History course, which I think was also a seminar and read, with fascination, Before the Mayflower, by Lerone Bennett, Jr. I was somehow also welcome to attend the extracurricular meetings of the Black Action Cell. The guys were incredibly tolerant of my inclusion given my lack of experience with some of the issues they discussed. I mostly listened and learned.

I participated in another extracurricular activity, the weekend long, Silva Mind Control seminar. I think those folks came down from Milwaukee. I don't remember whether it was for Campion students only or open to the public. Some of the exercises required a partner who, I think, would ask you questions about what information and or visuals you experienced while in your alpha state. I do remember that my partner was male, and my "vision" had included a two-story yellow house. I've yet to come across the house. Another, "I don't remember how it all came about memory," was being asked by Campion's band instructor, I guess, who must have known that I played oboe and trap set at Mar-Mac, if I would like to participate in the Mother's Day Concert. He'd invited another younger friend from Mar-Mac and a Prairie du Chien friend who was the sister whose older brother attended Campion. Both friends played piano, and with our inclusion the production became co-ed. I sat cross-legged in a white gown and played "Song of India" on my oboe as I charmed a rubber snake out of a basket.

Shelley and Dad I wish I had a copy of my transcript to trigger my memory about the other classes I may have taken. I do remember attending a ceremony with my father. My memory is a little vague but, I may have received some kind of document or certificate. I think that event was the Baccalaureate service for the Class of 1974. I believe this photo (sorry about the poor quality) was taken of my father and me that evening after the service. I had not been a full-time student so, I did not participate in the graduation ceremony but, I attended as a guest.

I find it odd that in recalling my time as a part-time Campion student, I'm not able to remember conversations with any of my classmates. I of course talked with and got to know my brother's classmates and friends. Some of us are still in touch now. I also got to know a small handful of other African American students who I guess learned of my presence on campus and were curious. But, I don't remember any of my classmates attempting to make my acquaintance beyond the classroom. I think on one of my first days of class one of the students walked with me up a flight of stairs and directed me to the classroom I was looking for. But, I was fairly unassuming. I'm guessing that after an instructor introduced me to his class, that was about it. In most cases, after class I had to hustle back to Mar-Mac. So maybe those in-between class opportunities for socializing weren't part of my routine.

I wish I could provide you guys with more details about interpersonal relationships with classmates or instructors - something to create a little literary tension in my narrative, but, nothing much comes to mind. With the exception of the Economics instructor, I felt neither animus, nor great embrace. I was just there, appreciative of the opportunity to enhance my preparedness for college. I guess I was just another student. And, I suppose because my share-time student status was unique, and my time on campus and in classrooms was relatively minimal, the majority of students were probably not aware of my presence, or, if they were just not particularly curious. That said, I wonder, had I been white would I have been regarded differently? Just a thought...

Two alumni with whom I am in touch reminded me that Campion was a microcosm of society, and like larger society, racism, classism and abundant weed impacted relationships. Although some of my memories of this time are hazy, I clearly recall that I felt fortunate to be able to partake in the Campion co-ed adventure. It was a joy for which I was and I am grateful.

[Editor's Prologue]:

Thanks to Mark Gomez '74 for finding and scanning images from 1974 yearbook.



Shelley's father, Dr. Clifford Smith, MD, has a most interesting life history... Must read...

From Ghost of Joe Campion

Found in Campion's lost rag, "The Brag" circa May, 1974


by Fr. Greg Lucey, S.J.

A year ago my mother lingered near death; as daily she grew weaker, her life rich, full 9 eighty-three years of it, seemed to refuse to give way. Just a few weeks ago I found myself no longer strong and hardy, but the center of much concern; my life flickered as a spark from a fireplace; for a moment gone, then there again. Now it is strong and hardy once more.

   Life--what a rare and precious reality, so utterly delicate and fragile, so dauntless and inextinguishable.

   Life is a gift, given, received, and given again

Life is a sustained mystery, ever unfolding, deepening, widening.

   A poet I am not; words come to me with much difficulty. I stand yet too close to death to speak clearly of life; life is too much with me to know fully the meaning of death; yet I see my life of forty years in a new light and would share with you who have been and are so much the meaning of my life, my gratitude to the Father for the gift he continues in me, my life.

   Life is a spark flickering, dependent, but unbound, needing believing to strengthen it.

   Life is a gift enriched in giving, ever opening to the mystery of itself with each new and deeper love.

   Life is of itself simple richness, not to be covered over, paraded in falsity and pretense. It is too precious to be less than genuine.

   Forty years of life has been my gift. How much am I yet to receive? Whatever, I see more Clearly than before that life is a gift enriched by a loving belief in the Father, by your love, my friend, and by the simple integrity of knowing life for what it is.

   May your life be a gift to you, and to those with whom you share it.

(Rev.) Gregory F. Lucey, S.J.
Christmas, 1973

From Chris Otto '75

Michael Lenardo '73, NIH Doctor and Scientist
Gregory Lenardo '75, Deceased 1980

The Gregory Paul Lenardo Basic Science Award was graciously endowed by NIH Oxford-Cambridge Scholars Program co-founder, Dr. Michael Lenardo, in loving memory of his brother. First awarded in 2016, this annual award recognizes discoveries of fundamental cellular, molecular, or genetic processes using model systems that advance scientific understanding of biological processes in higher organisms. ...Read more at International Biomedical Research Alliance.

From the Scarlet Knight

Found in the Journal of The Scarlet Knight

My First Battle in Defense of The Land

The Battle had been forming in the minds of All Combatants for days - First Engagement finally began at First Light on that First Day. All Swords had been sharpened and All Steeds armored, fed and free of thirst. The Battle was on and I in my Second Year of Quest. The Knighthood needed to survive overwhelming odds and would require giving all my strength and loyalty to that End. My survival would be uncertain but the Knighthood must survive. The Land must survive. The Challenge was thus acceptable to myself and to All my Fellow Campion Knights.

Our Left Flank immediately came under severe threat by overwhelming cavalry but the Sophius held the edge at great expense. Members of the Juvenus rushed to support the Left Flank and together the Sophius and the Juvenus reversed the onslaught . The Youngest of Knights, Cohort I, filled the Front Line vacated by members of the Juvenus and were crucial in advancing Our Front Line into the Hostiles thus preventing their advance. The Youngest of Knights fought and bled well for the Knighthood on that day. The Right Flank was solid with the Knights Elite fully engaged with the major strength of the Hostile's cavalry but fierce fighting would be the rule of the day for All.

Some of the most cunning and battle-hardened Guardians took sight on a Distant High Ground as they were fully committed to the Battle raging before Them. Their decisive Insights and Directives of the Battle that unfolded before Them were relayed to the Knights in Command by members of the Youngest of Knights who would then stay to strengthen the Line. The Guardians on the Distant High Ground were always prepared to enter into the Battle at a moment of pivotal advantage that would force and sustain the final outcome - once armored, the Guardianr's Steeds were always chomping at the Bit, always smelling Battle and always smelling Victory. The remaining Guardians stayed in the Homeland in order to Fearlessly protect the Homeland and the Home of Someone Else. They were supported in this effort by the Chiens de la Terre who swore to defend their own homes and families that encircled the Homeland. The Chiens de la Terre would be resolute in this endeavor. But The Homeland and The Land would surely only be saved on a battlefield many miles away at the Southeastern edge of The Land.

Once the historical record was reviewed, The Battle had actually been given birth to many days earlier from First Engagement . The Blue and Gold of Aquinas, a steadfast Ally living well beyond the northern border of the Land, was attacked through dozens of skirmishes that resulted in many Aquinas Faithful being slaughtered and their homes burned to Ashes. This unprovoked savagery would require a forceful and decisive response throughout the Realm of The Blue and Gold. Their Cavalry and Armies were sent out to End the Assaults, capture those responsible and Punish in Kind. The Blue and Gold would only come to the Aid of the Knighthood when the borders and citizens of the Blue and Gold were thought to be secure. Thus, the Knighthood would be without the Blue and Gold fighting beside Them at the start of Battle against the Hostiles.

Five days after the initial attacks on the Blue and Gold, their Cavalry had routed most of the deadly conspirators and the borders had been sealed by their Armies. It was at this time that the Blue and Gold placed a small contingent of Soldiers and Supplies in Forced March headed for the Land. At least two days out from the Land and another two days to the battlefield with Soldiers already half-spent from fighting their own battles. Some of the Blue and Gold Cavalry would be following within three days. The Knighthood and the Land would thus have Allies to attack the Hostiles from the North. The Knighthood would but need to survive until they arrive.

The Illuminati of Wahlert, Allies at the Southern Border, could not join the Knighthood in Battle against the Hostiles. Their citizens as well as their military ranks had been ravaged by an unseen enemy living amongst them for months - an enemy that lived within many and that traveled through their Breath to attack Others. Many were near death and many others had little Strength or little Will to Live. The Illuminati were already in a battle for their Lives where armor, swords and steeds were of no use and They would need much time to heal and save Themselves. Their Sword arms and Archers would be sorely missed by the Land in The Battle against the Hostiles.

The Knighthood would be without Allies at First Engagement.

Night has finally arrived and it is a Cold Night. The First Day of Battle has Ended.

The Knights would come together at a safe distance from the battlefield. The outer perimeter set at 200 yards and the injured and central camp placed 300 yards further off on a sloping rise protected by All not guarding the perimeter. Many casualties were endured by the Knighthood on that First Day but All Knights were still able to Breathe in the Cold of that First Night. Breathing in Life after fighting has Ended - it must be like being born into the World - I am sure that this is True.

The Women of the Land and Beyond were staged in Camp to provide relief from pain, to calm and to comfort all Knights in need. The Women cleansed and bandaged all wounds. Food and water were plentiful and were provided unsparingly by the Women. Campfires were lacking so the food was cold and the night would only get colder before First Light.

The Knights huddled together for both warmth and solace that First Night - resting as best they could while still being vigilant. I used the warm breath and the warm blood yet to clot from those Knights around me to warm my hands. My hands would be needed for Strength of Sword to Kill the Hostiles in the coming Day. I felt the need for this conduct. Their Warmth of Body secured by me would help to seize the coming Day. I could only pray that they would be fighting beside me when we again faced the Hostiles. I will save their lives at that time spilling my own blood in payment.

Many of the Knights Elite remained on alert, armored and in stirrups atop their Steeds while Both rested through the night - only condensation of Warm Breath indicated Life of Each on this cold night. The Knights Elite would rest and strengthen Themselves with the Youngest of Knights remaining at their side. The Second Day of Battle would begin at First Light so that First Attack against the Hostiles would commence at Low Sun. The First Attack would be spearheaded by the Knights Elite. This would be our Day. The Knighthood must stay strong.

The Guardians, encamped on the Distant High Ground, protected a 3 day supply of food and water for the Knighthood with a supply caravan set to arrive in two days with no accompanying reinforcements. The Guardians would forfeit their Lives before relinquishing this Distant High Ground and the Supplies that they guarded for the Knighthood. The Guardians have Always held and will Always hold the High Ground and yet this time the Guardians are chomping at the Bit - much like their Steeds. The Guardians have made a decision. The Guardians will leave the High Ground - They are preparing to enter The Battle. They will choose the Time.

The Second Day of Battle is in the making.

Many of the Sophius had been quietly amassing near the Left Flank of the battlefield during the few hours before First Light and most of the Juvenus placed Themselves along the Right Flank one hour before First Light. The Youngest of Knights were in support of both flanks but were concentrated in the frontal assault force with the remaining Sophius and Juvenus that were to be led into battle by the Knights Elite.

Throughout the night the Hostiles had been bathed in campfire light, keeping Warm and Visible to the Knighthood. The Knighthood will know where the Hostiles Lie and will know how much Mead they will have consumed when First Light arrives.

Under cover of darkness, the Guardians had delivered to the Battle Camp 400 broadswords forged from Damascus Steel that had been stored in the Guardians Armory. Along with the broadswords came 100 lances of hardened Damascus Strength Steel that were of lesser weight yet stronger and easier to wield than the customary battle lances of the Knights Elite.

With First Light approaching, the Knights Elite shed their heaviest and most protective of Armor. They replaced their Armor with thick leather secured about their torsos, loins and femorals. Thick leather was worn around the neck and arms while the lightest of chain mail provided head covering to ensure full view of the battlefield. The Steeds of the Knights Elite would remain fully armored and the Steeds were ripening for the Charge.

The Knights Elite placed their personal battle lances and shields in a blessed plot of Earth outside the battlefield, considered sacred to all Knights in battle, thus providing a home for the Damascus Steel battle lances upon their Steeds. With the Guardians generous tribute, the Knights Elite would now carry 2 broadswords and the lighter and stronger lances into battle. The remaining broadswords would be distributed throughout the Knighthood so that many of the Knights would enter into battle on this Second Day carrying 2 broadswords in search of Hostile armor. This Day would be forever Known as The Day of Steel.

It is the Second Day and it is Time for Battle. The First Attack has begun.

The Sophius, encamped on the Left Flank since the early hours of the Second Day, are now moving forward and inward onto the battlefield. In concert, the Juvenus on the Right Flank are moving directly onto the battlefield with an oblique formation where they expect to encounter flanking cavalry of the Hostiles. With knowledge held by only a few, the Juvenus had secured the aid of The Hounds of the Chiens de la Terre. Hounds trained to "Serve and Protect" their Masters at all costs. Hounds, each 110 pounds of muscle, bone and tooth, as swift as Steeds and fully trained to attack armored cavalry to Challenge their Charge. These Hounds will never be held at bay.

The Knights Elite are now on the Move with Knights interwoven within their Ranks. Their Charge is imminent and the rise of the Sun is now where it needs to be.

The Charge is on - it is First Attack of the Second Day for All Knights.

The Frontal Charge of the Knights Elite onto the battlefield is slow and steady. They are steadying their Line with Knights at their side. The Frontal Charge reaches half-gallop when the cavalry of the Hostiles first begins to enter the field of battle. Soon, the Charge of the Knights Elite is at full gallop and prepared for engagement with the Hostiles with Knights following their Lead. The Knights are set to engage the Hostiles before the Hostiles cavalry can fully enter the battlefield and unable to mount a serious Charge in response to the Charge of the Knights Elite. The Frontal Charge of the Knights has been Timed Well. The Knights have the advantage and All will visit Hell on this Day.

The Knights Elite, carrying less weight and encumbrance, engaged the First of the Hostiles cavalry in a fury of Knight and Steed. The Hostiles cavalry was immediately pushed back unto themselves causing confusion and chaos within Their ranks. Many of the Hostiles fell with their Steeds upon Them, being frozen in time and place, and seeing their Death ready to be delivered by Knights in support of Their cavalry. The Knights Elite carried forward maintaining Knight and Steed together as One. Every Challenge was being won by the Knights Elite and every Challenge Won bled the Hostiles ever more.

The rear ranks of the Hostiles began to regroup as They saw the devastation unfolding before Them. The Hostiles sent cavalry and infantry under cover offered by the surrounding forest to attack behind the Right flank of the Knights but the Juvenus would be there to meet them. Most of the Juvenus had strategically placed Themselves on the Right Flank of the battlefield able to attack the Hostiles while protecting the Frontal Charge of the Knights. The Juvenus also maintained a small strength of force at the Clearing just outside the Woods on the Right Flank ready to protect the integrity of the Battlefield and the Knights engaged in battle. The Hounds of the Chiens de la Terre were among the Juvenus in the Clearing.

The Hostiles cavalry coming through the Woods on the Right Flank had unwittingly out-maneuvered their own infantry. The few trails of the Woods were easily used by the cavalry but their supporting infantry had to slog through the Woods off-trail with great effort to arrive at the Clearing. Their infantry would arrive late and would be lacking in strength and value to engage in batlle. Their attack is ill-fated. The Hostiles have chosen unwisely.

When much of the Hostiles unprotected cavalry had entered the Clearing on the Right Flank, the Hounds of the Chiens de la Terre were released. All will now forever know who "Let the Dogs Out". The Hostiles cavalry being disoriented and without a true plan of action after entering the Clearing were now ready for the taking - the Hounds tore into them and tore them apart. The Hounds of the Chiens de la Terre viciously attacked the Steeds of the Hostiles at their exposed legs and hooves preventing any meaningfully charge forward. The Hounds lunged at the head of any Steed within their attack range, pulling at the reins and causing their downfall. Their Riders would accompany Them Downward to await their End provided by the Juvenus and any available Hound's Tooth to the throat. The Juvenus quickly dispatched any cavalry mercifully overlooked by the Hounds. In short time, the Hostiles cavalry was no more. Upon reaching the Clearing and seeing the carnage that lay before Them, the infantry of the Hostiles refused to enter the bloody field. They would remain in the Woods until ordered to attack.

The Juvenus at the Clearing now gathered up the bloodied and exhausted Hounds of the Chiens de la Terre. The Hounds fighting on this Day is over. The Hounds will be escorted by the Women of the Land and Beyond out of the Clearing towards relief from battle and towards much needed tending to wounds. The bloodied and exhausted Juvenus will remain at the Clearing.

The Hostiles had also regrouped much of their Reserves and sent both cavalry and infantry to attack the Knights on the Left Flank of the Battlefield. These Hostiles could not be allowed to attack the Left Flank of the Knights - these Hostiles would need to be engaged and much blood shed to protect All Knights in Battle and thus protect the Land.

Then it happened from the North. The Blue and Gold arrived - armored Cavalry, Thirty-Strong, with an entire company of Veteran Fighters armed with sword and shield and All in support of the Knighthood and the Land. The Blue and Gold were now in position to attack the Hostiles that were sent to destroy the Left Flank of the Knights.

The Guardians on High Ground observed the Hostiles being sent to attack the Left Flank as They were the First to see the Blue and Gold arriving from the North - the Guardians now chose Their Time to enter The Battle. Within the time it takes for the heart beats needed to call out one's Destiny, The Guardians took to stirrups and were upon their Steeds in full gallop moving toward the Left Flank of the Knights to intercept the Hostiles and to join forces with the Blue and Gold.

The Blue and Gold cavalry attacked the Hostiles cavalry directly from the North disregarding any flanking moves and moving towards the Hostiles Strength expecting to find Victory or Salvation. Within moments of the Blue and Gold attack, the Guardians attacked the Hostiles cavalry directly from the South with flanking moves able to engage the Hostiles infantry with a fury known to all Knights and to all Guardians. With Sword and Shield, the Veteran Fighters of the Blue and Gold placed themselves in extreme mortal combat with the Hostiles infantry in order to protect cavalry of the Blue and Gold, the Guardians of the Land, and to lay claim to Righteous Killing of the Hostiles. They would soon be joined in combat by members of the Sophius also there to protect and to seek Righteous Killing of their Own. The Battle is raging and Hell will never be more Ablaze than Here on the Left Flank. I am now fighting in that Hell.

The Frontal Assault led by the Knights Elite is now one of Attrition. The battle is hand to hand - it is between Knights and Hostiles with All Steeds having been excused from battle. The Knights Elite were the first of the cavalry to go Off-Steed and were brandishing their broadswords with unrelenting fury while standing alongside the Juvenus, the Sophius and the Youngest of Knights. The Knights must stay strong. With no reserves available, the Frontal Conflict is only in jeopardy from the rear. The Clearing at the Right Flank is still manned by the Juvenus but They are greatly outnumbered by the Hostile's infantry still cowering in the woods. If the Juvenus fall at the Clearing, the Hostile's infantry will be able to attack the Frontal Conflict from the rear and to then sweep into the Left Flank. The Juvenus must hold Their Ground and the Juvenus are Alone in the Clearing.

The order has been given - the Hostile's infantry in the Woods at the Clearing is now moving forward and They are 300 yards from the Juvenus. The Juvenus can only defend the soil beneath Them where They will await the coming battle and their Fate.

The Hostile's infantry is forming into 3 waves as They continue to enter the Clearing. The first wave is comprised of mostly young and inexperienced fighters intended to identify the strength and placement of the Juvenus. The second wave consists of most of their battle-hardened infantry while the third wave is to be used to strengthen the areas of the battle most in need to finish the Kills. This Tactic of the Hostile's infantry attacking an adversary of diminished numbers is well known to All. The Juvenus at the Clearing are indeed of diminished numbers but They will always be of superior Strength and Spirit.

The infantry of the Hostiles is at a walking pace and taunting the Juvenus as They draw nearer to the site of engagement. This strategy will not work on the Juvenus - the Hostiles have again become unwise. The Juvenus expect the first wave of the Hostiles to begin their charge at 50 yards from their defensive stance. It is expected soon.

Then it happened from the South. The Illuminati arrived - Archers, Fifty-Strong, all able to down a pigeon in Flight at 40 yards with every 2 of 3 pulls of their Bow and with Arrowhead Steel able to penetrate any armor at 250 yards. They were accompanied by All the Illuminati Special Guard that were able to engage in battle. The Illuminati have healed Themselves and They have come to fight for the Knighthood and for The Land.

The Illuminati were well-versed in the Tactics of the Hostiles. Archers of the Illuminati prepared for the volleys yet to fly from their Bows and finalized their strategy in attacking the Hostiles while Members of the Special Guard rushed to stand alongside the Juvenus. The infantry of the Hostiles is unaware of what lies before Them in the Clearing.

As the first wave of the Hostile's infantry began their charge, Archers of the Illuminati targeted the second wave still at a walking pace with volley after volley of Killing. The Hostiles of the second wave still with sword in hand were felled by Arrow and not by Sword - a dishonorable outcome for any warrior. Volley after volley from the Archers continued to find their mark through shield and armor as the second wave of the Hostiles could not hide from the Illuminati Archers willing and able to determine the Deadly Fate of the Hostiles. Arrows would continue to fly easily into and through both shield and armor of the Hostiles at a deadly rate for a deadly Time. The Hostiles were indeed unwise.

The first wave of the Hostiles was met with great force by the Juvenus and the Illuminati Special Guard with the Hostiles suffering great loss of Life within minutes of the engagement and with no second wave in immediate support. Still, the Juvenus and the Special Guard remain in jeopardy at the Clearing.

The Frontal Conflict of The Battle is now under the control of the Knights Elite. The Hostiles have but one escape from this battle and it resides at the hilt-end of a Knight's sword. The Knights Elite with the Youngest of Knights at their side remained at the Front. Of the other Knights fighting at the Front, the Sophius rushed to the Left Flank while the Juvenus raced to the Clearing on the Right Flank.

The Sophius, relieved from the Frontal Conflict, attacked the Hostiles on the Left Flank without warning and without mercy. They Ended any Hostile engaged in battle with a well-placed sword thrust while securing the edge of battle forcing the Hostiles into the midst of blood-letting to await their certain End of Life. The Hostiles will surely lose the Left Flank.

Upon leaving the Frontal Conflict, Members of the Juvenus raced to support their brethren in the Clearing. They knew not of the presence of the Illuminati and braced Themselves for what They would encounter. The reinforcing Juvenus came in strength through the forest to the left of the Clearing arriving near the fighting of the Hostile's first wave and the Defenders of The Land. Upon seeing the colors of the Knighthood alongside those of the Illuminati, they attacked the Hostiles from the flank and sent a contingent of Juvenus, still engaging with the first wave, to guard the gap between the first and second waves of the Hostiles. The second wave of the Hostiles will encounter the Juvenus before they will be of any aid to their condemned comrades.

The second wave of the Hostile's infantry, even after suffering much loss, was still of far superior numbers. They were finally able to regroup and understood that any hope of respite from the Arrows of the Illuminati would be to close the distance to the fighting that lay before Them and hopefully before the first wave was annihilated. As expected, the second wave charging forward received fewer Arrows as their distance to the battle lessened. The Archers of the Illuminati released several more volleys into the second wave before They targeted the third wave of the Hostiles who were beginning a Charge of their own. The third wave fell just as easily as the second wave had fallen. The Archers of the Illuminati will need to prevent the third wave from reaching the Battle of the Clearing in force.

At the Clearing, the Juvenus and the Illuminati Special Guard have finally provided All of the first wave of the Hostile's infantry the pathway to meet their Ancestors - the Hostiles need only to Go into the Light. After holding the soil beneath Them, the Juvenus and Special Guard now coalesced as One and began a Charge forward to meet the charging second wave of the Hostiles.

The Hostiles on the Left Flank have now fallen to the Defenders of the Land. The Frontal Conflict is Over with only a handful of Hostiles remaining alive. It is now that the Knights Elite and the Youngest of Knights released from the Front to support the Right Flank. Without rest, They raced through the forest toward the Clearing while the Archers of the Illuminati continued their Assault on the third wave of the Hostiles, slowing Their charge with deadly flights of Arrows. Soon, the second wave of the Hostiles and the Defenders at the Clearing, the Juvenus and Illuminati, will be Sword to Sword.

As the second wave of the Hostiles and The Defenders of the Land clashed in the Clearing, the Knights Elite and the Youngest of Knights of the Frontal Conflict broke into the Clearing just beyond the engagement. They immediately attacked the second wave of the Hostiles from the flank and the rear while the Illuminati Archers relentlessly targeted the third wave. With neither shield nor armor in play in order to conserve Strength of Sword, the hand-to-hand fighting could not be more Deadly. It is now only Sword against Sword, Sword against Flesh and Bone.

Shedding Much Blood to the cold piercing Arrowhead Steel of the Illuminati and seeing the battle raging before Them, the third wave of the Hostiles went into full retreat back into the Woods knowing well that the comrades they were abandoning would Be Ended before the Dark would be at it's Darkest. From this day forward, those who retreated will Forever Live in Darkness until Death relieves their pain for leaving comrades at the Clearing. Their Sin of Retreat will be dealt with in Another Place.

The Dark is now beginning to End this Second Day of The Battle but more Killing is required to End The Battle for placement in the Scrolls. The Archers of the Illuminati, with no Hostiles available to receive their Arrows, let fly burning Arrows to light up the Clearing for All to use to identify Defenders of The Land and Hostiles in need of Killing. Their burning Arrows would continue to fly into the Clearing until the Battle is at an End.

It is now the Dark with a Full Moon willing to guide the Killing. The Hostiles in the Clearing will End soon. The Battle for the Land is Over.

Throughout this Night, the Defenders of The Land are now to be Lost between Exhaustion and Attention to their Wounded. At Dawn, The Defenders of The Land will collect Weapons and Steeds and escort Their Dead and Wounded in the Longest of Journeys toward Home - a Journey of Fallen Comrades.

It is now the Dawn. It is a New Day and a New and Different Future for All. The Land has survived. The Knighthood has survived. I have survived.

I am Alive and I will now continue on my Righteous Quest as a Knight of Campion and as a Knight of The Land.

From Ghost of Joe Campion

50 years ago in the CAMPION Newsletter, December 1971


Senior Named Science Winner. John H. Larson '72 has been announced the winner of the Bausch & Lomb Science Award at Campion Jesuit High School, Prairie du Chien.

Mr. John G. Boor, principal of Campion, stated that B&L Science Award is especially significant because it recognizes the senior with the highest scholastic standing in scientific subjects.

New Theatre on Campus.Campion's drama group, Les Bouffons, under the direction of Mrs. Alice Khran, presented a dramatic revue, When can I go into the supermarket and buy what I need with good looks. Randy Hayes with his opening song Who Am I set the tone and question for the evening. Through individual and choral poetry readings and dramatic sketches, the group thought out loud who they were as individuals and as members of a country with problems of war, impersonalism, confused sexual roles, and false patriotism.

Narnia: Place of Peace and Harmony. Seeing a need on campus for a place for people to come together and relax with varied entertainment, Mr. Hal Dessel, S.J., and a group of students turned the club room with small tables and brightly tie-dyed tablecloths into a cozy coffee house called Narnia, after the secret land of C. S. Lewis. Some of the highlights: the "Game of Life", ...films such as Stringbean, Why Man Creates, and Nanook of the North.

Campion Scholar Honored. Robert D. Ewing of Teutopolis, IL., was named State Scholar by the Illinois Scholarship Commission.

Writing Workshop Formed. New on campus is a writing group with students from the local public high school and Wyalusing Academy joining Campion Students.... Senior Mark Otteson says "It's a chance for people to write what they feel, get honest feedback and develop their style in a relaxed atmosphere, a chance to let go and write yourself out. A year ago I couldn't write this way"

Awareness Day Observed. On November 16, Mr. Boor and six students - Kevin Havlik, Tom Freeman, Charles Hohmeier, Scott Russell, Pierre Gregoire, and Dan Roseliep - attended a Day Of Awareness at Viterbo College in La Cross. They were among two hundred students and adults who heard talks, saw films, and took part in activities intended to give some insight into problems of justice, hunger, ignorance, and poverty.

The full stories and more are archived at Campion-Knights.org

From the Desk Of John Duskey '63

Memories of Fr. Gregory Lucey, S.J.

On September 30, we lost one of the great Jesuits in the history of Campion, one who was known to most of us who attended Campion in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. You should read the obituary to appreciate the broad experiences and effective leadership he brought with him wherever he was assigned. He was a Campion alumnus, class of 1951 and promptly joined the Jesuits after graduation. In those years, the program was composed of two years of novitiate, two years of Juniorate, and three years of Philosophy at St. Louis University. During those years of Philosophy, he also earned a Master of Arts degree in Education. It was not until 1958 that he was assigned to Campion as a scholastic.

In the fall of 1959, he was named head prefect of Campion Hall, which, with the opening of Lucey Hall for sophomores and juniors, had just become the freshman division. Working with such Jesuits as Fr. Aspenleiter, Mr. James Egan, Mr. Ted Hottinger, Mr. John Wambach, Mr. Roland Teske, and Mr. James O'Leary, he developed the skills of leadership which he used throughout the rest of his life. Like all the Jesuit scholastics of that era, he went to St. Marys, Kansas to study Theology for three years. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1964 at Gesu Church in Milwaukee.

After earning a Master's degree in Liturgy in 1968, he was assigned again to Campion, where he became principal and eventually president. When he arrived, Campion was very different from the school he left in 1961. In his first year as principal, the enrollment had dipped below 500 for the first time in years. It had become necessary to put a full page of disciplinary policy into the red book. In the fall of 1970, when he had become president-principal, the enrollment was barely over 400. There were more lay faculty, which put some financial pressure on the school, as did the higher cost of heating and electricity. These trends continued, and the school's debt grew to the point that the bank became unwilling to loan the school the funds needed to operate. The Jesuits could no longer supply the school with the scholastics and priests to keep it in operation.

Obviously, Fr. Lucey suffered a great deal during this time. There was controversy and strife among the faculty, financial pressures, and an increase in reports of student misconduct. It was a difficult situation, and the Jesuits of the Wisconsin province wanted out. This happened in the spring of 1975. Fr. Lucey had learned a lot from all this, and was able to draw on this experience in his future assignments. On the Sunday afternoon of Mothers' weekend in 1975, Fr. Lucey spent most of the afternoon with me, detailing the financial and personnel problems he had faced. He spoke of his intentions on establishing Campion Alumni Association, and invited me to a meeting. He also provided me with information I have previously used in my earlier articles on the closing of the school.

After Campion closed, he went to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, where he earned a Ph.D. in Educational Administration. In recent years, during one of our mini-reunions, one of the Jesuits explained to us that the Jesuits generally tried to steer the young men who entered the order into fields like Literature (whether Latin, English, or Greek), History, Philosophy, and Theology. Some studied Mathematics, but they regarded Education as something unlike the other disciplines they promoted. The fact that they twice sent Fr. Lucey to get both a Masters and a Doctorate in Education was an indication that they highly valued his administrative skills, and that they could count on him to take a leadership position at one or more of their universities.

He subsequently held administrative positions at Seattle University and Marquette University, and in 1997 he took over the presidency of Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama. He held this position until 2009. From 2013 to 2020, he served as chancellor (with a short time as interim president) and chancellor emeritus.

In 2020, he was sent to Marquette University to do pastoral work. In early 2021, I invited him to a mini-reunion on June 12 with a small group from the class of 1963, He initially accepted the invitation, but on June 4 he sent me this message:

Thank you for the information about the gathering next week. Unfortunately, I need to ask for a rain check. Much to my surprise I now have a conflict on the 12th. I do hope we can reschedule in the near future. I am very sorry that I cannot be available. I was looking forward to seeing all of you. ------ Greg

I wrote him back and asked him what time would be good for rescheduling. His reply:

John, I am waiting to hear from a couple of others about dates. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for reaching out to me. ------ Greg

Some time later in the summer, he received his cancer diagnosis, and moved from the Marquette University Jesuit residence to Camillus in Wauwatosa. He died there on September 30.

When a close friend or a relative dies, it is normal to be thinking about what would have been said, if only we could have had one more conversation. That certainly is true for me with respect to Fr. Greg Lucey. He has left me, and many other Campion alumni, a legacy that we will never forget.

My Experience with Covid

by John Duskey

I want to thank everyone who sent me a card, an email, or a phone call for your expression of good wishes and for your prayers for my recovery. When I did not feel well enough to make it to PdC on September 19, I knew something was wrong. Later that week I went to my doctor's office and was 'tested' - I was positive for the virus. Friday, September 24, I checked in at the Franciscan Hospital in Crown Point, Indiana.

For the first several hours, I was placed in the holding area. Early Sunday morning I was transferred to a room on the fourth floor. I felt confident that I would be rid of the virus in short order, as I had been taking Vitamins C & D3, Zinc, Quercetin, and other elements, including the nebulizer, such as are in the FLCCC early prevention protocol. On Monday I was given my initial dose of Remdesivir, which essentially eliminated the virus. They determined that I should have a second dose on Tuesday, just to be sure. During the rest of the week, cardiologists started to find things that were wrong with my heart. But by the end of the week, I was ready to move out.

On October 4, I was sent to a nursing home/rehab center so that I could regain my strength, and keep my balance when walking. I was held there until November 18. They put me on oxygen, with the hope that it would raise my SpO2 to an acceptable level, which it did. I had a persistent cough all the time I was there. That may have been attributed to poor ventilation and the quality of air.. When I returned to my house, the coughing stopped.

One good thing about the place was the Physical Therapists. They took me every morning to put me through a program of exercises. After each exercise, they checked my SpO2 with their pulse oximeter. If it was over 90, I was in good shape. Eventually I was able to walk (without a walker) all the way back to my room, without help, and my SpO2 was regularly around 99.

The nurses' aides were not always congenial, a substantial difference from the helpful attitude I experienced in the hospital. There were a few exceptions. One young man came in to the nursing home from an outside employment agency. He was great. One time when I was in the Munster Franciscan hospital, there were two young men working there as nurses' aides. They were from the National Guard. They knew their job and did it well. I think I'd rather see the National Guard on this kind of duty, rather than trying to restore order to city streets.

Since November 18 I have been at home. Friends have brought me things I need. My brother Jim (Campion class of 1972, as a freshman only) was helpful throughout this ordeal, picking me up and taking me home on November 18, and giving me a ride to my doctor's office the following week. I've been able to do all the usual things at my house, and I even have been able to walk up the stairs. Now I'm also able to drive my car.

So that's my experience with Covid. I wish I had been on physical therapy sooner, and I wish the meals had less bread and more nutritious food. I certainly wish I had been able to leave the nursing home sooner. But things are basically ok right now.

Peter J. Haurykiewicz19662022-01-09Kenosha
Charles E. Shinnick19482022-01-21Wilmette
John J. Callahan, S.J.19572022-01-21Plymouth
Jim A. Bruce19582022-01-31Milwaukee
James M. Wilhelm19542022-02-03Indianapolis
Fred L. Peterson19532022-02-11Kokomo
Robert I. Scheck19552022-02-15Chicago
Robert W. Wallace19652022-02-16Palatine
Chris Schmitt19612022-03-01Milwaukee
Michael R. Gibboney19652022-03-04Middletown
Thomas J. Doyle19472022-04-19Wausau
John Patrick Stewart, S.J.19482022-04-27Fort Eustice
Fr. James K. Serrick, S.J.19492022-05-06Toledo
George A. Bannantine19452022-05-08Ciudad Trujillo
Mark P. Haschka19642022-05-13Minneapolis
Jeffrey J. Jankowski19702022-05-13Fort Lee
John Martin19592022-07-06Dayton
Charles T. Dailey19632022-07-10Saginaw
Eldon G. Arms19612022-08-11Prairie du Chien
Bill B. Powers19502022-08-14Chicago
David C. Crutcher19692022-08-14Lexington
Rev. Martin W. Pfab19542022-08-24Bernard
Brian J. Fitzgerald19712022-08-28Oshkosh
William J. Dooley19602022-08-29West Bend
James H. Walsh19502022-09-07Sarasota
John J. Shinners19652022-10-02Green Bay
Jerry Vainisi19592022-10-04Chicago
Fr. Patrick J. Boyle, S.J.19492022-10-25Chicago
Gerald Meyer19562022-11-23Chicago
Thomas E. Hirsch19652022-12-04Chicago
William A. Kelly, III19632022-12-09Arlington Heights
Raymond (Pete) Ebbing19532022-12-18Detroit
Rev. Joseph F. Eagan, S.J.19402022-12-20Avoca
David W. Florence19482022-12-20Cuyahoga Falls
Robert V. Snyders19482022-12-20University City
Joseph M. Zorc19572022-12-29Chicago
Wolf Biedenfeld19592022-12-31Chicago
Charles A. Mudd19482021-01-01Chicago
Ronald L. Ruble19542021-01-02Kenosha
James B. Grooms19642021-01-26North Freedom
Robert E. Lawler19482021-01-31Chicago
John C. Beringer, Sr.19492021-02-05Akron
Eric M. Hillenbrand19732021-02-23Brookline
Richard M. Hamlin19452021-02-23Akron
Fred E. Fugazzi19652021-03-10Lexington
Charles A. Burke19552021-03-31Chicago
Robert P. Simutis19702021-04-12Evergreen Park
Donald Pflieger19562021-04-17Norwalk
Patrick J. Egan19622021-04-22Chicago
Paul A. Forsthoefel19532021-04-25Adrian
Thomas M. Murphy19562021-04-30Waukegan
Peter G Carey19602021-05-08Fairview Park
Louis J. Kosednar19552021-05-15West Allis
Daniel L. Dries19572021-05-31Beaver Dam
Mike A. Rossiter19532021-06-07Hartington
Brendan Miles19562021-06-15Lafayette
Nap E. Nasser19542021-06-18Toledo
James F. Nangle, Jr.19482021-06-21St. Louis
Robert C. Bishop19672021-06-22Louisville
Mike J. Kline19582021-06-30Dayton
Kenneth R. Rowley19552021-07-27Oak Park
Mike D. Whalen19552021-08-02Darlington
Tom R. Eckman, M.D.19532021-08-09Chicago
Mike J. McKenna19522021-08-28Antigo
J. Michael McErlean19602021-09-00Flossmoor
Donald B. Jestel19612021-09-06Davenport
George J. Eastman19652021-09-11Prairie du Chien
G. Patrick Jehring19672021-09-19Muscatine
Rudolf J. Schork19512021-09-23Elyria
Fr. Gregory F. Lucey, S.J.19512021-09-30Prairie du Chien
Edward R. Ochylski19712021-10-03Chicago
Joseph F. Semerad, III19612021-10-04Berwyn
Michael T. Shields19632021-10-27Harvard
Luciano F. Raineri19732021-10-30River Forest
Joseph G. Brisch19422021-11-10River Forrest
Stephen W. Kelley19712021-11-25Glen Ellyn
Michael L. Frost19572021-12-02Jessup
Carl L Ganley19592021-12-03Northfield
Francis M. Magyar19662021-12-05Decatur
John J. Downes19492021-12-17Oak Park
Fr. Dr. James Allen Meyer19552021-12-19Chicago
Frederick Buetow19642021-12-30Monroe
Kurt R. Nebel19532021-12-31Chicago

Alumni who have passed in...
2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, All known by class.

Faculty who have passed:

  • Fr. Gregory F. Lucey, S.J., 2021-09-30, Scholastic: Teacher of Latin, Sodality 1959-61; Priest: Principal 1969-70, President 1970-75, Rector 1973-75.
  • Lieselotte "Lu" Patnode, 2021-09-09.
    She married Donald Kenneth Patnode in Manheim, Germany on April 11, 1947. She followed Don to Prairie du Chien for his position at Campion Jesuit High School as the head of the ROTC program. Together they raised their family in the Prairie du Chien...
  • Fr. Philip Dreckman, S.J., 2021-03-25, Teacher of History 1966-1975
  • Doris M. Buening, 2021-02-10, Secretary 19??-19??
  • Fr. Eugene Dutkiewicz, S.J., 2021-01-24, Scholastic: Teacher of Chemistry 1957-58; Priest: Teacher of Math 1963-69, Asst. Principal 1965-69
  • Fr. Ed Sthokal, S.J., 2020-08-11, Teacher of English, Religion 1957-1959
  • Bro. Edward C. Gill, S.J., 2020-06-06, Treasurer & Automobiles Caretaker 1970-1976
  • Fr. William J. Kidd, S.J., 2020-03-03, Teacher of Math 1966-1974
  • Rev Bernard Coughlin, S.J., 2020-01-28, Teacher of Latin, Sociology and Drama 1949-1952
  • Maurice L. Oehler, 2020-01-23, Professor Chemistry 1962-1971, Founder Mole Day

Home  |  Links  |  Newsletters  |  Reunions  |  Contact

Hugies • Campion • Forever !!!